The law firm leading President Donald Trump’s lawsuit challenging the vote count in Pennsylvania withdrew from the case on Thursday, Politico reports.
Porter Wright Morris & Arthur, an Ohio-based firm, told a judge that it has agreed with the campaign to pull out of the case.
“Plaintiffs and Porter Wright have reached a mutual agreement that Plaintiffs will be best served if Porter Wright withdraws, and current co-counsel and such other counsel as Plaintiffs may choose to engage represent Plaintiffs in this case,” the firm said in a filing without citing any reasons.
“It is highly unusual for a major law firm to seek to withdraw its representation of a client in litigation so soon after it commenced,” Politico reported, noting that the suit was filed just four days earlier.
The withdrawal must still be approved by a judge.
Trump campaign lashes out at firm:
“Cancel Culture has finally reached the courtroom," Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh said in a statement. "Leftist mobs descended upon some of the lawyers representing the President’s campaign and they buckled."
"The President’s team is undeterred and will move forward with rock-solid attorneys to ensure free and fair elections for all Americans,” the statement added.
Another firm withdrew last week:
Snell & Wilmer, the largest firm involved in the GOP’s legal crusade, also withdrew from a case in Arizona last week.
The firm asked a judge to withdraw just days after filing a lawsuit alleging that poll workers in Maricopa County provided incorrect instructions that invalidated certain votes.
The firm clarified that it was only representing the Republican National Committee, not the Trump campaign, in the case, and asked to withdraw without citing any reasons.
Jones Day, another firm involved in the effort, also issued a statement saying it was representing the Pennsylvania Republican Party in a lawsuit challenging late-arriving ballots in the state, not the Trump campaign or RNC.