20M Americans May Lose Insurance After Trump Administration Sues to Kill Obamacare Entirely

20M Americans May Lose Insurance After Trump Administration Sues to Kill Obamacare Entirely

The Trump administration joined a states’ lawsuit seeking to overturn Obamacare and submitted a court filing arguing that the entire law "should not be allowed to remain in effect," CNN reports.

The government argued that the “individual mandate” that requires Americans to have insurance is unconstitutional and goes on to argue that the rest of the law should be overturned as well even if the government "might support some individual provisions as a policy matter."

Assistant Attorney General Joseph Hunt admitted in court filings that the administration previously argued that portions of the law should remain in effect if the individual mandate was struck down but now says that by "picking and choosing which provisions to invalidate" would interfere with Congress.

The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals is expected to hear arguments on the case in July and it may go to the Supreme Court next term.

The Trump administration’s reversal came after a Texas judge ruled in favor of a lawsuit filed by Republican attorneys general seeking to overturn the entire law.

20 million may lose insurance:

If the ruling is allowed to stand, The Associated Press reports, more than 20 million Americans would be at risk of losing their coverage.

Overturning the law would also eliminate the Medicaid expansion, protections for people with preexisting conditions, and the part of the law that allows people to stay on their parents’ insurance plan until they turn 26.

Dems call move “heartless and wrong”:

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer slammed the move in a statement on Wednesday.

"This action only proves President Trump and his Department of Justice would rather make political points than defend our health care law that protects the 133 million Americans with pre-existing conditions, has provided tens of millions more Americans with health insurance coverage, and has lowered prescription drug costs for millions of seniors," he said. "President Trump wants to take all of that away from the American people, jacking up health care costs and leaving millions without coverage."

"There is no viable legal argument and no moral defense for the devastation the Trump Administration is asking the court to inflict on Americans' health care," added House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. "The Trump Administration owes the American people answers for why it is seeking to rip away protections for pre-existing conditions and cause such vast suffering for families across America."

Related News