OnlyFans Says It Won’t Ban Sexually Explicit Content After All Following Backlash

OnlyFans on Wednesday announced it would reverse its plan to ban sexually explicit content after backlash from users, The New York Times reports.

The company announced last week that users could still post nude images and videos but content would no longer be permitted to include “sexually explicit conduct.”

The company said the change was the result of pressure from financial firms and credit card companies, which recently cut ties with PornHub, one of the largest adult websites on the web.

But the ban drew widespread condemnation from its user base.

OnlyFans, which has only been around since 2016, has seen astronomical growth due to the popularity of its adult offerings, which allow models and performers to charge users as an alternative to free tube sites.

Adult performers criticized the company for building a brand off their images and videos only to leave them behind. Sex workers expressed concerns that the ban would drive some people back onto the streets and potentially dangerous situations.

Ban reversed:

OnlyFans said the ban would begin in October but on Wednesday said it “suspend” the ban.

“Thank you to everyone for making your voices heard,” the company said on Twitter. “We have secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community and have suspended the planned October 1 policy change.  OnlyFans stands for inclusion and we will continue to provide a home for all creators.”

The change was also prompted by creators who began to leave the platform in droves.

“You have really successful hard working content creators who put in a lot of time effort and work and have a consumer at the other end who wants to purchase it,” Brian Gross, an industry publicist, told the Times. “You see article after article about how successful it is, and for some reason the outside world doesn’t want it recognized.”

Site “didn’t have much choice”:

Dannii Hardwood, who runs a management company representing more than 200 OnlyFans creators, told the Times that the company’s leaders “didn’t have much choice” to ban porn because of pressure from credit card companies and religious anti-porn groups.

Tim Stokely, the site’s founder, blamed the change entirely on pressure from financial firms.

But the company told the Times that it had reached an agreement with its payment processors.

As a result, the “changes are no longer required due to banking partners’ assurances that OnlyFans can support all genres of creators,” a spokeswoman said.

 

Related News
Comments